Strategic Plans 2008-2015
Long Term Vision
MCL is dedicated to the mission of providing stewardship and proper care of cultural sites, philosophies, and practices throughout Maui Nui. These opportunities may be made available by state, private owners, and local corporations.
- MCL will establish credibility and integrity in its work at specific cultural sites or activities.
- MCL will be respected and sought out by owners of cultural lands.
- The work and access to these sites will be inclusive of all cultures and peoples.
- Removal of alien plants and the reintroduction of endemic or appropriate plant species will be carried out.
- Cultural lands will follow the concept of the ancient land management practices via the AHUPUA’A system with water.
- Return these lands to their former glories and sanctity.
- Community groups, local and national businesses will support MCL to ensure its growth to full sustenance and longevity.
- A component for cultural foods, arts, crafts, games, philosophy, health care, and knowledge of the sea with canoes will be established.
Aloha aina Love of land
Aloha ka kou We exist because we are inclusive of all people with like minds and hearts.
Ike Greet Recognize people and places.
Ihi Respect Honor all people and practices.
Malama Care for properly.
Maka’ala To be alert.
Ho’okona To hear and internalize.
Maui Cultural Lands will acquire, gain access, and participate:
- Accept and evaluate cultural lands that may be made available for stewardship.
- Work for right of entry, conservation easements, donation or fee title to project lands.
- Follow appropriate protocol prior to entry onto these sites.
- Build appropriate infrastructures and best management practices.
- Explore and support the ancient glories of discovery and knowledge.
Stewardship is defined as one of land management, restoration, and clearing out unwanted or alien plants and objects. It activates the Hawaiian value of Malama.
- Remove alien species.
- Identify and install appropriate endemic or indigenous plants.
- Implement proper safety procedures in use of tools, equipment, and machinery.
- Follow proper soil enrichment and erosion practices.
- Establish a regimen for proper care of endemic plants by organic and chemical means.
- Practice safe disposal of harmful organic and chemical matter.
There is a desperate need for the community, visitors, and especially the children, to be properly indoctrinated into the glories and intellectual capacities of the Hawaiian people that has not been taught in the normal transmissions of information. Many times information is given without its proper context or landscapes.
- Promote educational opportunities for school students of Maui and other interested parties.
- Establish and implement the Hawaiian Learning Systems Program.
- Provide hands-on experiences for all people.
- Participate in forums that will educate decision makers and the general public.
- Allow for archaeological professionals and Kupunas to give advice and recommendations.
- Showcase the stories, arts, science, engineering, and glories of the Hawaiian culture by the proper use of archaeological sites, native plants, and objects.
SUSTAINABILTY AND LONGEVITY
It is important to any organization, if it is to make an impact on the environment, its natural and cultural resources, to plan for the long haul. In doing so we must look for all sources of help and advice.
- Locate and hire a salaried professional executive director.
- Incorporate paid professional staff members.
- Establish adequate funding to ensure goals and objectives are attained, thereby ensuring longevity.
- Attract professional people to meet the needs of the various projects.
- Obtain proper legal and financial resources to meet legal requirements.
TIME LINE, PROJECTS, AND OBJECTIVES
- Identify and prioritize three additional archaeological sites to be opened and stabilized.
- Increase the number of endemic and indigenous plants to be installed by 10% each year.
- Search for more effective means to control invasive plants.
- Build five kauhales in the Honokowai project within four years.
- Plan and execute Project Ma’ana in Honokowai with fruit trees and other edible native food crops.
- Establish water storage systems for summer drought conditions.
- Update and maintain irrigation systems.
- Train volunteers to meet specific needs of endemic plants.
- Inventory tools, equipment, and supplies and replace where needed.
- Pay off balance owned on flat-bed truck (Hana Hou.)
- Establish tool cache at various work sites for convenience.
- Have on hand emergency irrigation repair kits at all sites.
- Update brochure to include Honokowai, Hanaula, Ukumehame.
- Provide latrine area for larger groups.
- Establish camp sites where appropriate.
- Evaluate First Aid procedures, tools, and safety procedures.
- Indoctrinate Board members and volunteers on prehistoric, historic, and current background of the various projects.
- Network with other corporations and organizations to complement their needs.
- Plan and execute strategy for longevity of MCL.
- Develop and expand electronic and visual aids to educate and inspire more public and private participation.
- Review and modify, where necessary, financial procedures and legal 501(c)(3) obligations.
- Form committees of special interest:
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Repair and reactivate the greenhouse for common native plants.
- Start planting in Hanaula’s Puu Anu section in 2008.
- Fund and build at least four 45 foot double hull sailing canoes and establish rules, protocol, and safety procedures for the proper use of these canoes.
- Construct a Hale Waa and classroom for education purposes such as Hawaiian language, cultural arts, meeting rooms, health and wellness program, self-sustainability, economic development, navigation, seamanship, ocean awareness, stewardship, and other cultural and community uses.
- Form partnerships with other cultural organizations who are of like minds and like hearts, such as Uhane o Waa Kaulua, Olowalu Cultural Reserve, and Lahaina Hawaiian Civic Club.
- Allow for change, review, and flexibility in any of the above objectives and time lines.